Friday 23 November 2012

BUCCANEER



I remember finding this paperback on a rack outside a book shop in Cornwall when I was about ten. Since Masters of the Universe and its muscle bomb mutants played an integral part in shaping my childhood tastes, this Frank Frazetta sinew strainer instantly set off a pinballing brain explosion. It's an absurd image - a hyper-muscled Conan, sporting a Viking helmet, choking out a series of green-skinned lizard men. He seems to have clobbered the lot of them with just his bare hands. Amazing. I doubt I ever read more than about a page of it, although I did later acquire a paperback adaptation of the first Schwarzenegger Conan film at a Christmas Fair whilst rooting around for second-hand Fighting Fantasy books.

This image via Cap'n's Comics.

No comments: